A few years ago, during Christmas dinner, Justin's grandfather asked the family to tell him what we thought was the most important thing in life. We guessed love, happiness, and family, only to be told we were wrong. The correct answer was legacy. Grandpa then told us about his brother being killed in the war, which left him as the only male to carry on the family name. Then Grandpa only had one son (Justin's dad) to carry on the name. And that son had three boys! But so far we were all letting him down...
Needless to say, Grandpa Jerry was very excited when we told him our big news.
My wonderful grandmother passed away a couple weeks ago. While we were going through her things, my mom and aunt offered me a dish towel that had been embroidered by my great-grandmother. It was pretty stained and had a couple holes, but I had a plan. After some careful bleaching, cutting, and sewing, we now have a new decoration for the baby's room. I thought it was appropriate given the famous "Legacy Speech" and the fact that our son will be heir to the Druffel name.
I was also given my grandmother's piano. She was an incredibly talented musician, so it means more to me than I can explain. Justin and I have been playing it together almost every night. The baby goes crazy kicking and rolling around whenever we do. So perhaps he'll be heir to her musical talent as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



This post made me tear up a bit. My grandma made those same kind of dish towels that she left for me when she passed away. Your family sounds amazing.
ReplyDeleteI'm getting so excited to meet your new little guy this summer. Bill and I are definitely going to make a trip up there.