Before surgery
I think the surgery was harder on me than it was on him. We checked into the hospital at 6:45 and by 7:45 we were ready to go. We spent the next 45 minutes trying to entertain a very wiggly and hungry baby. At 8:30 we changed him into his hospital gown and they carried him out of the room. He was crying for "amah" and reaching for me. That's when I lost it.
I cried for the next half an hour while we tried to eat breakfast and have some coffee in the cafeteria. I managed to compose myself and head back upstairs to wait for him to be finished. We had been told the surgery shouldn't take more than an hour. At 9:30 I started crying again until the surgeon showed up to talk to us at 9:45. And of course I had been worried for no reason. At 10:00 I finally got to see my baby again.
The poor little guy was so out of it. I rocked him, sang him our special song, fed him 2 bottles, and just snuggled him until we were finally released to go home at 11:00. Here are a couple of very sad pictures from the recovery room.
Edison was back to his normal self after our two-hour-whole-family nap that afternoon. Here are some pictures showing the remarkable difference the surgery has already made.
After surgery - same afternoon
After surgery - 2 days later
The swelling is still going down and he is still figuring out how to blink. And our work is far from over with the ointment and the patching. But the worst part behind us. I am so incredibly grateful that a treatment was even available for a condition that wasn't that severe to begin with. We saw some sad families in the hospital that aren't nearly as fortunate. I consider us beyond blessed to have a healthy happy child.





No comments:
Post a Comment